In the famous TV show “How I Met Your Mother,” there was a character named Barney Stinson who wasn’t afraid to let everyone know how “awesome” he thought he was.
Everyone rolled their eyes at Barney. It was a running joke throughout the show. Barney Stinson had a saying, “Whenever I’m sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead.”
Being a rather self-confident 20-something with a penchant for obnoxious humor, I naturally took a liking to Barney Stinson.
Drawing some inspiration from his character, I decided to incorporate his running joke in my own life. I did this for many years. I even downloaded the LEGO Movie “Everything Is Awesome” ring tone to put on my cell phone (which I still have as my ring tone to this day!)
I kept this ongoing joke up until shortly after I met my wife. “Wait… you actually believe you are awesome?” is something she more or less said to me after the first couple of dates.
And since I decided I really liked this girl, I might put the joke on the back burner just a wee bit.
But, that doesn’t mean I didn’t think the concept wasn’t a good one. Indeed, what Barney Stinson used as a joke on a TV show, I saw as something that actually had some truth to it.
A Theology of Awesomeness
According to Psalm 139:14, “I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”
Or, if you were to put that in modern day vernacular, king David thought he was some pretty “awesome sauce,” and wasn’t afraid to say so. And neither should you.
I can hear the objections now. “In me is no good thing!” “We are all sinners in need of a savior!” “I am the chief of sinners!” “We are the sons and daughters of Adam.”
Yes, I affirm all those great Biblical truths. We all come with that baggage, and then some.
But, even those those things are true, that doesn’t mean we aren’t fearfully and wonderfully made. Indeed, we are. We are all created in the image and likeness of God. We are the very handiwork of the almighty God, and we should delight in His creation.
No, that doesn’t mean we should be like Barney Stinson. Barney Stinson’s isn’t really awesome, he’s a parody of what awesomeness actually is. If you don’t believe me, check out his obnoxious and sexist blog post dedicated to his awesomeness.
So with that said, I’d like to provide some practical tips how you can walk in the awesomeness that God created you to be. For a more detailed explanation, be sure to listen to my podcast episode featured at the top of this page.
10 Keys To Being Awesome
1. Know what you are made of. Life can be really hard. The fires of life can test you. Embrace them. Push yourself. Embrace challenges. Persevere. Do the hard thing.
2. Be humbly confident. Emerge from the fires of life as a battle tested warrior. Embrace your awesomeness. Don’t be self-absorbed, rather, just be boldly live out who God has made you to be.
3. Be decisive. Knock on doors, and seek opportunity wherever you may find it.
4. When opportunity demands it, take bold leaps of faith into the dark. Trust in the Lord to watch your back.
5. Remember where you’ve come from while keeping your eye towards the future.
6. Be thankful, as everything you have could all go away tomorrow. The Lord gives and the Lord takes away.
7. Laugh often and sing much. Rejoice in all the good and beauty God has placed in your life.
8. Love richly, even beyond your immediate sphere of influence family and friends.
9. Always do to others as you would have them do unto you, just like Jesus said.
10. Remember that life isn’t about you. Ask God what you can do to better serve others, and grow the garden that He’s placed you in.